Saturday, March 14, 2009

Sushi with Vuillard postcards

Transparent watercolor on Fabriano 17 x 23 cm

I think this is the first time I have ever set up a still life to paint. It wasn't so bad. I needed to get that sushi in there somewhere for Karin Jurick.

I have been very preoccupied, excited, having fun getting ready for my trip to the U.S.  As I have probably mentioned like 500 times, I am going to participate in a workshop in South Carolina with Charles Reid the end of this month.  

The following can be filled under"probably more  than you wanted to know".


I have gone through all my watercolors and chosen the 20 colors I am going to take with me (closest to the colors he recommends).  

I made  new value charts, mixing charts and even glazing charts with all 20. (This is just one of the mixing charts. I think there are 6 altogether.)

(I say "even glazing" because C Reid doesn't use that technique, but I thought, why not, as long as I am being obsessive.)

I have reread all 5 books I have by him. I cleaned and sorted all my brushes.

I have a new easel, a new, smaller folding palette and I have been trying to work exclusively on it so I will be used to it, and the angle I will need to use to paint. (I usually paint either flat on my little desk - to the right on the photo- or on my lap outside.)


and here is a close up of my palette after I finished the little painting above.  See? No muddy puddle colors.

And not only am I excited about going to this workshop, but it has also been one and a half years since I have been to the U.S. or seen my parents, brother or my favorite cousin, Dorothy. I will be gone for an entire month and am going to join another workshop near Tulsa with my old painting buddies from around there with Pat Weaver. I am feeling like one lucky woman!

21 comments:

Hillary Miller said...

You are going to have the very best time! Enjoy!

Mona Diane Conner said...

Carol, I can tell how excited you are about your workshops by all of your careful prep. That vast color chart alone looks frame-worthy to me! My favorite part of your still-life is the lemons, with the yellow running outside their bounds.

I hope it's a wonderful time for you with friends and family too on your trip!

laura said...

Carol. your excitement shines through in your still life and all your preparations. I'm deeply impressed! South Carolina is so beautiful--I can't wait to see the paintings you do in the workshop and to reading all about it!

L.Holm said...

Wow! You are prepared. Nice Reid-like still life with sushi! Safe travels!!

Jennifer Lawson said...

Have a wonderful time. Charles is my hero. I met him years ago when he did some work for me when I was a corporate creative girl. I am taking his workshop in Vermont in June.

Have fun—Jennifer

Cathy Gatland said...

Carol, enjoy every minute, of your family and the workshops... I'm going to get out my Charles Reid books and brush up... will think of you being really there! Look forward to seeing what you bring back.

Anonymous said...

Carol, I'm going to the Charles Reid workshop in Georgia in May. I'm as pumped as you are! I've also been working on my supplies to get prepared - working from an easel (I usually work from my desk too - it's quite different working from an easel), getting used to some colors he uses that are new to me, and trying out the brushes he recommends. I hope you post about the workshop - I would LOVE to know how it went. Hope you post pictures too :)! Great painting - very Reid looking!

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

How exciting. I would love to attend, but alas, not in my budget! Your painting is wonderful, all that is missing is some drips and splatters. Love all your lost and found edges.

bubblemunch said...

Your painting is so beautifully colourful. It's a great take on the 'different strokes' photo. It was great to see the photo of the still life alongside your easel.

You're so disciplined with your colour charts.

Enjoy your trip and your workshop. I think he should be just as happy to have someone so talented on his workshop! ;-)

Sharon said...

This is exciting! Have a great trip. The workshops should be wonderful. I attended a workshop years ago with a woman who highly recommended Pat Weaver's workshops. I'm working on painting lemons in a teal blue bowl right now, so it was good to see how you handled them in this lovely still life. I've never done much with the teal on my palette, so getting the right color for the shadows has been a challenge.

hissnhowl said...

Nice work! I love your DSFDF painting!! Have a great trip and I look forward to seeing and hearing about your workshop - it sounds wonderful.

Diane Morgan said...

Hi Carol, love how you did the sushi still life. I think you left a comment on my blog, but I can't find it. I hit publish for four at one time, and I thought I saw your name but I can't find the comment. Was I imagining it?

Art By Erika said...

I hope you don't burn yourself out before workshop lol I'm so happy for you wow! I leave for CA April 5. And on top of that I don't drive and Tulsa is 2 hours away from me. Will you be driving? You can come see me before I leave? Love your DSDF it's always so well thought out.
Have safe and fun trip! xoxox

Anonymous said...

Love your still life setup!

toby said...

Have a wonderful time - we'll miss you! I think I may even be a little jealous of your enthusiasm :)

r garriott said...

I like your sushi set up! Very friendly and inviting.

Your color charts are great too. I myself chekcing my oil color ones a lot (and someday I will continue them).

Annelein said...

Wow...love the color charts! Have a great time at your workshops! It's always so invigorating to have a week of dedicated art immersion time with others....Enjoy your family, too.

belindadelpesco.com said...

I'm so excited for you, I'm doing a happy dance under my desk. Bravo on your "homework" to prep for the workshop. And your results are beautiful. I can't wait to hear your thoughts after you watch CR paint a full sheet (while humming & whistling to himself) in a few hours time. It's inspiring and so masterful. I sure hope you can blog from your travels. :o)

Maria Kovalenko Leysens said...

I also like your still life and am happy that you will get to travel, learn and see some people that are important to you. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

The still life is beautiful in every aspect, from tones to contrasts.

Your efficient set up is amazing.

theresamillerwatercolors said...

Lovely still life!